The Ivory Tower

This is a place for me to think out loud (or 'on paper') all things that are interesting me, and to comment on things I want to remember. Naming my blog the Ivory Tower is a joke on the popular notion that philosophy and intelligence are something beyond the common man, somehow above the 'mean' act of living as a human. Rand's refutation of this is what immediately drew me to her. Feel free to introduce yourself.

8.03.2006

Starbucks

How do you get along with co-workers? That's what I wish they'd ask me again.

In the last week I had an interview to be a barista at Starbucks. I was passed over for the position and someone else was hired. I remained persistent in talking with the managers, so much so that I was worried I'd become a pest, because I really wanted to know what I had done wrong or what I could do better. I discovered that I gave the impression that I would have difficulty getting along with customers and fellow workers, that I wouldn't be able to form the bonds that are so unique to Starbucks. That's what I had been anticipating.

While reviewing my interview in my mind this had been a knot of uncertainty, I didn't know if I had conveyed myself accurately. I understand that when I was asked that same question, "how do you get along with co-workers", I responded that I didn't very well. And that's true, I didn't get along with my co-workers very well, but it's not the whole truth. That was my error, where I had an oppourtunity to shine I remained blunt.

I should have explained why it is that I've spent the past two months hunting a job at Starbucks, why I've been so persistent. I should have said that I know Starbucks is all about the atmosphere. I know that you can get coffee almost anywhere, but Starbucks is the only place where you can relax among friends and sip a little coffee on the side. That's what I love about Starbucks so much, they've taken my favourite free-time activity and offered it to me any time I want for the price of a tall coffee frappuccino with an extra shot of espresso and light whip [$3.50].

I should have said that Starbucks is one of my favourite places to go and it would be only too wonderful if, for now, I could work there. I should have explained that I have a job now, a decent job at which I could conceivable do well and rise among the ranks. But I don't get along well with my coworkers because it's a fast food place and they're all harried with their own jobs. There's very little room to get along well with each other. I should have said that I try to crack a joke, be friendly, and cheer someone up when they're upset about upset customers, but that it's all secondary to my job where I'm supposed to be as fast as I can. Don't get me wrong, fast food isn't evil, they just sell speed instead of comfort and so "getting along" is rather a non-issue and often gets in the way.

I should have said that it bores me having to repeat lines at customers because when I try to be frank and friendly I get reminded that I'm going too slow. I should have said I enjoy speaking happily with customers and coworkers, that It'd be fun to play with the menu for customers the way Starbucks employees do rather than reluctantly saying, "no, we don't carry that". In short, I should have said that I don't get along well with my coworkers and that's precisely why I want to work at Starbucks so single-mindedly. Because I'm a cheerful and open person and even though I have to pay the bills I want to have some fun doing it. I want to work in a place where I have the oppourtunity, nay am encouraged, to get along with coworkers and customers.

What you have just read seriously illustrates my problem. I write better than I speak, and speak better in retrospect than at present. More to the point, I speak very well (as in the physical action of speech) with diction, clarity, and assertiveness. But what to say, that's what I can never get right the first time. I can't seem to speak my mind without giving it at least ten minutes of thought first as to what exactly I mean to say and in what words to best say it. My powers in that area are restricted to small witty commentary among friends, on which I've actually been highly complimented.

So now, I'm encouraged to try again in six months. We'll see if I can learn to communicate properly by then. I hope this has helped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home