The Ivory Tower

This is a place for me to think out loud (or 'on paper') all things that are interesting me, and to comment on things I want to remember. Naming my blog the Ivory Tower is a joke on the popular notion that philosophy and intelligence are something beyond the common man, somehow above the 'mean' act of living as a human. Rand's refutation of this is what immediately drew me to her. Feel free to introduce yourself.

5.02.2006

Latin Essay #3

Ok, so scratch that. I can't write an essay about Latin as a whole with only Virgil to look at. Since it's an essay my subject has been broadly chosen for me - Virgil's poetry. Now, I can narrow that to the language Virgil uses, and make my theme the perceptual nature of his language.

On what do I wish to write?
The use of Latin vocabulary by Virgil.

Also, I am going to get rid of the whole "perceptual understanding of the world". It assumes too much about the writer's motives and smacks of psychoanalysis. Although it was an intriguing thought, trying to write about it is making me slightly nauseous. I still want to point out the prevalence of perceptual wording in Virgil but I am not going to go off on an unfounded rant about what it means for his cognitive habits.

What is it that I wish to say with this subject?
Virgil writes using predominantly concrete concepts.

Since I'm no longer talking about Latin as a whole nor trying to deduce Virgil's [or a Roman's] world view from the selections, I'm going to go with both methods that I identified of employing concretes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home