The Ivory Tower

This is a place for me to think out loud (or 'on paper') all things that are interesting me, and to comment on things I want to remember. Naming my blog the Ivory Tower is a joke on the popular notion that philosophy and intelligence are something beyond the common man, somehow above the 'mean' act of living as a human. Rand's refutation of this is what immediately drew me to her. Feel free to introduce yourself.

4.28.2006

The Root of "Perfect"

Ok, so I know I've been posting on an unprecedented scale and this is not something I could ever maintain. But I just had to write down this sudden personal revelation because I've been pondering the meaning of perfect and what is perfection for a while and this is a very big clue for understanding. Disclaimer: I'm an amateur Latin student, not an etymologist. This is not an 'official' or historically accurate etymology, it is a connection I found between perfect and a Latin equivalent. Take it as a folk etymology, and I'll research it's validity later [I have a Latin test I'm supposed to be studying for!].

Let's start with the base [wink wink, nudge nudge]. Facio/facere is the Latin verb for "to make or "to do". You add per- [through] to get perfacio/perfacere, which means "to make/do through", or more commonly in English "to accomplish". The perfect passive participle of this verb is perfectus/perfecta/perfectum which means "having been accomplished" [in the various genders]. For example: "en, perfecta tibi bello discordia tristi;" [in no particular word order, if you know Latin] means "Behold, sad discord/dissension/strife having been accomplished/perfected in war for you".

So "perfect" in English comes from something having been accomplished [or perfected]. What that something is, I'm not entirely sure yet but I have an idea.

Update [4.28.06 11:12 pm]: I've discovered the Latin etymology book I bought sucks. It doesn't explain any of the meanings, it just lists English words that come from a certain very common Latin root. So I went to Online Etymology Dictionary and it has to say [brackets are added by me for clarity and bold for emphasis]:
... from L. [Latin] perfectus "completed," pp. [participle] of perficere "accomplish, finish, complete," from per- "completely" + facere "to perform" (see factitious). Often used in Eng. as an intensive (perfect stranger, etc.). The verb meaning "to bring to full development" is recorded from 1398 ...
So, I was correct in essence, but I still need to think about how this applies to the concept of perfection. Here's something interesting:
... Perfectionist is 1657, originally theological, "one who believes moral perfection may be attained in earthly existence;" sense of "one only satisfied with the highest standards" is from 1934.
The concept of a perfectionist originally developed in the mid 17th century. I'm thinking "may be attained in earthly existence" refers back to the idea that perfection is something accomplished (facio --> I do) as opposed to perfection being Platonic in the sense that it is an ideal that can never be realized.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home