The Ivory Tower

This is a place for me to think out loud (or 'on paper') all things that are interesting me, and to comment on things I want to remember. Naming my blog the Ivory Tower is a joke on the popular notion that philosophy and intelligence are something beyond the common man, somehow above the 'mean' act of living as a human. Rand's refutation of this is what immediately drew me to her. Feel free to introduce yourself.

2.02.2006

Ayn Rand's Birthday

Today most especially, I'd like to recognize what Miss Rand has done for me; even if I can't wish her happiness on her birthday.

Her philosophy made the precious, yet fragmented and undefined, thoughts of my adolescence intelligible. If not for her I don't know if I would have ever figured out how to do it myself. At best, I would have spent many more years in frustration.

Hats off to the woman who is my intellectual guide.

2 Comments:

At Monday, February 13, 2006 12:11:00 AM, Blogger Amanda Carlson said...

Hello Bruno,

Actually, had I arranged my introduction to Rand I would have given myself more time to think on my own first. I tend to accept Miss Rand's conclusions so implicitly, that it's often difficult to force myself to validate them inductively. By that I mean that I think "well, man has free will; how do I prove that?" Instead of just pointing to man and an instance where he uses free will and saying "this is free will". But, yes, her ideas have been invaluable to me.

II wonder somewhat, at what you mean by, "Everytime I think of it, I look at the future with joyful excitement of what is yet to come in my life". What is it specifically that you look forward to in light of Objectivism?

 
At Monday, February 13, 2006 4:12:00 PM, Blogger Amanda Carlson said...

Ah, I thought you might be referring to a revolution in academia, of which I am not as certain as most Objectivists.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home