The Ivory Tower

This is a place for me to think out loud (or 'on paper') all things that are interesting me, and to comment on things I want to remember. Naming my blog the Ivory Tower is a joke on the popular notion that philosophy and intelligence are something beyond the common man, somehow above the 'mean' act of living as a human. Rand's refutation of this is what immediately drew me to her. Feel free to introduce yourself.

9.30.2005

Poetry 2-Genus of Poetry

I began with calling poetry an art, in that poetry is an idealized creation of man. The definition of art is: a selective recreation of reality. A recreation of reality because art is not reality itself, yet reality is it's only subject. Selective because the artist does not portray reality exactly, he chooses which aspects to portray depending upon his values and idealizes those values. Please, don't ask me to define value, I thought about it and I can't do that yet. I have a working definition which I use to judge a value, for now, but I don't understand it well enough to defend the definition. Art is judged good to the extent of the artist's ability to idealize the value(s), and it is appreciated by an individual to the extent that that individual agrees with the value(s).

Then it occurred to me that I can narrow the genus further, poetry is expressed only in one particular medium. You can't paint or sculpt a poem: if you tried, what you'd end up with is a painting or a sculpture based upon a poem, but not a poem itself. At first I wanted to call this medium 'literature', and it's definition was: language arts. In other words, art which is expressed in language (written or oral). But after consulting a great friend, I think this is the wrong concept for this definition. Literature can include history/science/technical textbooks which aren't art, though it's written. But, whatever the label, the definition is correct; so poetry is a language art.

7 Comments:

At Friday, September 30, 2005 2:22:00 AM, Blogger Rita Earle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:49:00 AM, Blogger Isla said...

Hey, Amanda. This is Lisa (from class). I'd really love to discuss some of this stuff with you sometime outside of class. It appears we have some other common interests (some movies and stuff you have listed). Would you be interested in getting together to talk about stuff sometime?

 
At Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:51:00 AM, Blogger Isla said...

Oh, I have an account here but I don't use it much. You can email me, or go to my "blog" at LiveJournal, under the same name (ladyisla). I'm not going to post my AIM or anything else here, but if you want it, I can give it to you in class or something.

 
At Sunday, October 02, 2005 6:49:00 PM, Blogger Amanda Carlson said...

I'd love to! Do you have time after class on Tuesday? We could go to the Starbuck's in the Union, I'm addicted to good coffee and good conversation. Or we could hang out at one of the malls if it's a nice day.

See you in class. ^_^

 
At Monday, October 03, 2005 5:45:00 AM, Blogger Isla said...

I have a 2-hour lab at 3:30 on Tuesday, so I don't think I could make it then. Today (Monday) I am free between 11:30 and 2:30, and from 3:30 until about 7. Could you make it anytime around there? I'm not sure what my Wednesday will look like yet.

 
At Monday, October 03, 2005 9:48:00 AM, Blogger Amanda Carlson said...

I have free time from 11:30-3:30. It's pretty late right now, so I don't know if you'll read this in time. But I will have lunch at noon tomarrow downstairs in the Union between Pappy's and the Grant Street entrance.

 
At Monday, October 03, 2005 12:59:00 PM, Blogger Isla said...

I will see you there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home