The Ivory Tower

This is a place for me to think out loud (or 'on paper') all things that are interesting me, and to comment on things I want to remember. Naming my blog the Ivory Tower is a joke on the popular notion that philosophy and intelligence are something beyond the common man, somehow above the 'mean' act of living as a human. Rand's refutation of this is what immediately drew me to her. Feel free to introduce yourself.

7.13.2005

Librarians

Librarians are masterminds at devising inane, tedious tasks. They may even surpass kindergarten teachers in the matter.

I work for librarians and today I spent an hour paper-clipping long blue strips of paper to square white pieces of paper in a certain specified manner. I also had to sort out a giant bag full of various paperclips, because it was absolutely necessary to use plastic triangular paperclips as opposed to any other kind of paperclip.

When asked by my supervisor, the librarian, to do this ridiculous thing, which she didn't have time for, I asked why such a thing must be done. To which she responded, "I don't know, my boss told me to do it."

...and you're a 40-something-year-old with masters degree who didn't bother to ask why such a thing is necessary.

I am shocked by the casual insanity of it all. This is only one of the many subtly strange, obviously meaningless tasks I've been asked to devout my time to. And whenever I point out some simple way of making the idiotic chore more efficient I am, without fail, lauded for my brilliant technical knowledge. It's like a cruel prank by renegade psychology majors.

2 Comments:

At Saturday, July 16, 2005 12:18:00 AM, Blogger junebee said...

Sounds like those tasks they teach to mentally retarded or brain-injured people to get them functioning. Geez, weren't there any books to re-shelve or anything?

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 12:22:00 AM, Blogger Amanda Carlson said...

I usually exhaust all my duties in the first hour or so of a shift. It is the architecture library, so my job is basically gaurd the circ. desk from invading hordes. I'm not surprised my supervisor resorted to busy work, but it's insulting to be praised for doing well at it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home