The Ivory Tower

This is a place for me to think out loud (or 'on paper') all things that are interesting me, and to comment on things I want to remember. Naming my blog the Ivory Tower is a joke on the popular notion that philosophy and intelligence are something beyond the common man, somehow above the 'mean' act of living as a human. Rand's refutation of this is what immediately drew me to her. Feel free to introduce yourself.

6.13.2005

Google, how could you!

"Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful." http://www.google.com/corporate/

Google's noble goal and unparalleled ability to achieve that goal has been an inspiration since the day I learned of it. Now, they have taken their greatest virtue, destroyed it, and apologized for it. All for the sake of their philosophical enemies, who want to destroy independence and liberty by making knowledge universally inaccessible. It breaks my heart. It's like watching Hercules in his madness, except in Google's case it is self-induced. I feel betrayed.

Update [7.22.2005]: To remove expired news link. See comments for summary.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 20, 2005 3:21:00 PM, Blogger John Stark said...

The Yahoo news link has expired. What was it about?

 
At Saturday, July 23, 2005 5:00:00 AM, Blogger Amanda Carlson said...

Sorry, I can't find that article anymore. I should have printed a copy of it for reference.

Anyway, in September 2004 Google self-censored their news search engine by disabling the links to news items that the Chinese government does not want their people to see. I'm pretty sure Chinese internet users can still see the headlines of a search, but they can't get to the article.

Google did this because if they wouldn't have the Chinese government would have blocked all of GoogleNews or maybe even all of Google.

I found out because last June Microsoft also censored themselves in order to retain the Chinese market. That (and other) news items mentioned Google's previous betrayal along with Yahoo!.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home